Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Section 104



My grampa Stone (David Ray Stone) died when he was well into his nineties-96 or 97-I believe.  The last time I saw him was when he was living in an assisted living center with his second wife, Esther.  He was always kind to me and loved to pull out his coin purse and give me a nickel, dime, or quarter, with the charge to “go get a candy bar or a soda pop.”  He was also interested in my sports activities.  During the last visit, I asked him for advice:  “Papa Stone, what is the one thing you would like me to know?” In his raspy, gravelly voice, he replied succinctly, “stay out of debt!”
He explained that he had incurred debt as a young married man that had followed him most of his life before he was able to finally pay it off.  This was due to a loan he and a partner had received to plant sugar beets.  An early frost destroyed the crop.  The partner fled the responsibility and grampa was not willing to declare bankruptcy.  Little by little the debt was paid, but it had been a millstone around his neck for many years.
 78 And again, verily I say unto you, concerning your debts—behold it is my will that you shall pay all your debts.
Some debts are necessary.  Prayerfully wrestle with your needs vs. your wants and enter into debt with great caution. Commit to pay off your debts as soon as possible. Live within your means. Find joy in the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment